What Is Christian Identity?
By Pastor Eli James
As the Christian Identity Movement grows in numbers and in stature and in recognition, it has become apparent that we need to have a basic statement of principles by which we both identify ourselves and by which the non-Identity world can understand us. This document is, therefore, a statement of the basic principles of Christian Identity. It is not a complete statement of principles, but it contains 20 of the most salient points of Faith. In this year of our Lord, 2007, the Christian Identity Movement boasts of hundreds of congregations worldwide, with new ones forming on a nearly daily basis. It is a reflection of the fact that the White Race is remembering its heritage as the Israelites of the Bible. This original forgetting and current remembrance were both prophesied in the Bible.
For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. – Isa. 29:10-12.
This collective amnesia is restated at Isa. 42:16, 19-20, Hos. 1:9-10 and confirmed by Paul at Romans, 11:7,8,25. The Jews have no tradition of forgetting their identity; but, we Anglo-Saxon Israelites, being derived from the Exiled Tribes of the Assyrian Captivity, escaped from our captivity by migrating through the Caucasus Mountains, only a short time after our Israelite ancestors were placed in Media. This is how we became known as the Caucasian People. This migratory path was very specifically prophesied by the prophet Isaiah:
And there shall be an highway for the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria; like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt. – Isa. 11:16.
This Caucasian mountain pass, today known as the Dariel Pass, is still known to the locals as “the Pass of Israel.”
Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God. Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God. – Hosea 1:9-10.
This prophecy cannot be true of the Jewish people, for they have always been few in number and virtually the entire world accepts their false claim to being Israel. Rather, this prophecy states that people will first DENY we are Israel, but, eventually, this fact will be acknowledged. We are experiencing this prophecy coming to pass, as we speak.
The Jews also reject the Messiah, but the Bible says that True Israel will accept Him:
And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. – Rom. 11:26-27.
This New Covenant was prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-37, but the rabbis never quote that passage, because it clearly points to Messiah delivering the New Covenant to us.
Finally, the prophet Ezekiel tells us that we would awaken to our true identity in the last days:
And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them. So the house of Israel shall know that I am the LORD their God from that day and forward. And the heathen shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them, and gave them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword. According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions have I done unto them, and hid my face from them. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob, and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy name; After that they have borne their shame, and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me, when they dwelt safely in their land, and none made them afraid. When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies’ lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations; Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there.
Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD. – Ezek. 39:21-29.
The Jews were dispersed in 70 AD, when the Roman army destroyed the Temple; but they were not taken into captivity. Only our people were taken into captivity, by the Assyrians. Also, all twelve Tribes have regathered right here in America, in complete fulfillment of the 7 Times prophecy of Leviticus 26, which states that True Israel will be punished “7 times” for their iniquity. A prophetic “time” = 360 years. 7 * 360 = 2520. The Assyrians, under Tiglath-Pileser, began taking our ancestors captive in the year 745 BC. 745 BC + 2520 years = 1776 AD, the year America was born, as a Christian nation. (Mathematicians note: There is no year zero, so we have to add 1 to the calculation.)
Christian Identity is also known as Kingdom Identity, the Jacob-Israel Movement, Christian Israel, Israel Identity, Covenant Identity, Covenant Israel, British Israel, American Israel, Anglo-Saxon Israel, Anglo Israel, etc. The essence of all of these variations in name is that the Caucasian people are identified with the Israel of the Bible, and no other people can claim to be Israel, and that includes the Jewish people, who cannot demonstrate their literal descent from either the House of Israel or the House of Judah.
Caveat: The following list is neither complete nor compulsory. Some CI groups will adhere to most of the following principles; and some groups or ministers may even dispute some of those listed. There are some groups that even reject the term, Christian Identity, but still adhere to the majority of the principles listed. Christian Identity is still evolving as the Restoration of True Israel in the Latter Days, but the idea that the Caucasians are the True Israel of Scripture is the paramount doctrine, which is shared by all Identists.
Theological Principles of Christian Identity
1) CI is an exclusively Bible-based theology/religion. It contains no dogma (meaning doctrine that is neither contained in nor derivable from the Scriptures). It is based solely on the written Scriptures, plus historical and archeological confirmation of those Scriptures. Although there is much debate within the Identity Movement as to the meanings of the translations available to us (which is true of Christianity as a whole), it is generally agreed that the Bible, as written in the original Hebrew and Greek, is the inspired word of God. But the translations into modern languages have been a source of much confusion and much error. For the same reason, CI totally rejects the Jewish Talmud, which is based on the supposed “Oral Tradition” of the rabbis of Judaism, which has no basis whatsoever in the Written Word. Contrary to the Torah, the Talmud is based on the non-Scriptural traditions of the rabbis. These are the very “traditions of the elders,” which Jesus Christ totally rejected.
2) CI has no organized central structure like most denominations, although there is much communication between particular congregations and between and among CI teachers around the world. Our Faith rests in the Bible, not on an established hierarchy of officers. In this respect, we imitate the bishoprics of the early Church Fathers, which had no clerical priesthood or denominational seminaries, which are institutions divorced from the community. The priests were family men, who organized the community, and who were all teachers of the Law. This is the very Priesthood of the Order of Melchizedek, which is thoroughly explained by Paul in the Book of Hebrews.
3) CI believes that the Feast Days of the Old Testament are a mandatory requirement for all CI members, but the blood sacrifice aspect is not mandatory, since the sacrificial rituals of the Levitical priesthood were abolished at the Cross. The Feast Days are to be kept as a memorial to Yahweh.
4) CI believes that Judaism is an impostor religion which claims to be based on the Old Testament but is, in fact, based on the Talmud, which is a collection of commentaries by rabbis, and that the vast majority of these commentaries are either irrelevant to Scripture or deny the Scriptures. In fact, Moses specifically forbids such additions to or deletions from his written Law, at Deut. 4:1-2.
5) CI believes that much of modern Judeo-Christianity is the Great Apostasy, the “falling away,” as prophesied in Scripture (II Thess. 2), because Judeo-Christianity has invented numerous dogmatic principles, such as the Rapture, “spiritual Israel,” and Dispensationalism, which are not to be found in Scripture.
6) CI believes that it is the revival/restoration of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, the Covenant People of the Bible, and that the Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Caucasian and Germanic peoples of the world are the True and Only descendants of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. This belief is based upon historical records, not upon dogma. There are literally hundreds of books available on this subject, but they are not promoted by mainstream religion.
7) CI understands the Jewish people to be of non-Shemitic descent and of two non-Israelite lineages: 1.) Sephardic Jews of Canaanite/Edomite descent and 2.) Ashkenazi Jews of mixed Japhethite/Mongol/Hittite descent. As a result of this non-Shemitic descent, the Jewish claim to Palestine is regarded within CI as both fraudulent and erroneous. Since the Jewish people are neither Shemites, Hebrews nor Israelites, they have no right, since they are NOT the true descendants of the biblical Shemites, to be in Palestine and should give Palestine back to its rightful owners, the Palestinian people. Judaism has a historical record of claiming that the terms ‘Israel’ and ‘Jewry’ are equivalent or identical. CI teaches that this claim is both historically false and theologically untenable.
8) CI regards Zionism as a fraudulent theology for the same reasons as given in Item 7. The real reason why organized Jewry hates our movement is because we can prove that their historical and religious claims to ancient Israel are fictitious.
9) CI believes that the Bible is the “Book of the generations of Adam” (Genesis 5:1), namely the Book of the White Race exclusively and that the language of the Bible clearly forbids race-mixing. This does not mean that non-Whites cannot choose to become Christians and practice their own version of Christianity. What it means to Caucasians is that we have the Scriptural obligation to practice our Faith as the Bible demands that we should, exclusively as a Family and as a Race. We believe that all Races will benefit when the White Race is free to practice its Faith as the Bible demands.
10) CI believes in the Covenants between Yahweh God and His People, Israel, and that the Bible cannot be understood without reference to the Covenants. Except for the Rainbow Covenant, all of Covenants of the Bible were made exclusively to the Seed (Hebrew zerah, meaning direct descendants) of Abraham and Sarah and reaffirmed through the Seed of Israel.
11) CI teaches that the Flood of Noah was local, not global, and that all of the pre-existing nations and peoples survived the Flood. Thus, Christian Identity sees no contradiction between the Bible and natural history.
12.)CI denies the possibility that all races evolved from either Adam and Eve or from Noah and his family. These ideas are both unscientific and anti-Scriptural.
13) CI is not a cult. A cult is defined by dogmatism, idol-worship or personality worship. Typically, cult leaders demand that their followers abandon all other forms of worship. CI, on the contrary, is focused on Scripture. Those pastors who deviate from Scripture routinely get criticism from their own flock and from other CI ministers. All CI adherents are free to leave their congregations at any time. Donations are accepted as within any mainstream church. CI is based on Scripture, not pastor-worship or leader-worship. Nor does CI ask its adherents to abandon reason in favor of unprovable doctrines.
14) CI accepts both the Old Testament and the New Testament, in the original Hebrew and Greek writings, as the inspired word of God. We reject the notion that either Testament is preferable to the other or that one or the other Testament is obsolete.
15) CI teaches that the Name of God, Yahweh (the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, YHWH), has been deliberately obscured by the Masoretes of Judaism and by faulty Christian scholarship. We seek to revive the use of this Name, as it was given to us in Exodus 3:15. The Jewish teaching that Yahweh’s Name is “too holy to be pronounced” is an anti-Scriptural dogma that cannot be found in the Bible. On the contrary, Scripture tells us to “publish” and “praise” His Holy Name.
16) CI teaches that the Bible was written to, by, for and about Israel exclusively and that the Jewish people are not and cannot be identified with Israel, thus the Jewish claim to the authorship and stewardship of the Bible is fraudulent. As prophesied in Ezek. 39, the other races of this planet will eventually recognize the White Race as God’s Chosen People.
17) CI teaches that Mosaism and Judaism are antithetical doctrines, with the Mosaic Law being Yahweh’s own Law. Jewish law, on the contrary, presumes to overrule Yahweh’s Mosaic Law. Despite Judaism’s claims, Christianity is the sole inheritor of the Mosaic tradition.
18) CI believes in all of the prophecies of both the Old and New Testaments, including the fact that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies.
19) The Old Testament food laws should be obeyed for proper health.
20) CI believes that Christianity should be an integral part of our national life. A false tradition of “separation of church and state” has risen. Almost all of our State Consititutions declare Christianity is the official Sate religion and that only Christians can hold public office. The Bill of Rights (First Amendment) states that “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof.” This means the government has no authority to interfere in matters of religion. “Separation of church and state,” which is fictitious language NOT contained in the US Constitution, has been used to promote the exact opposite policy.
The Role of Christian Identity in Society
Only a straightforward and honest debate of Scripture and history will determine whether Christian Identity or Judaism is the rightful claimant to the Covenants of the Bible. In this regard, Christian Identity and Judaism are on an equal footing: Each group claims to be the rightful heir to the Promises and Covenants of Scripture. But, this one glaring fact remains: Judaism is doing everything in its power to obstruct open discussion and debate of Christian Identity. Organized Jewry fully understands the theological position of Christian Identity. Jewish groups, such as the ADL, have chosen to attack the theology of Christian Identity rather than engage in dialogue or debate. Jews and other critics of Identity have created the false impression that Christian Identity is a violent movement. On the contrary, Christian Identity has an established record of peaceful protest and determined consciousness-raising, so that White People who are dissatisfied with orthodox Christianity can belong to a Faith, which makes both rational and theological sense out of the Bible. Under no circumstances does Christian Identity advocate the violent overthrow of any government or regime. We advocate the right to practice our Faith as the US Constitution mandates, without interference from any arbitrary, self-appointed or antagonistic Censor.
Pastor Eli James
List of Christian Identity and related Websites: